On Monday, 10 October 2016, twenty-eight St John volunteers and members of the public were honoured for their contribution to the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem (The Order of St John). The Chancellor of the Order Dr Patrick Burgess OBE, GCStJ, DL. presided over the ceremony held at St Paul’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral with the participation of his Excellency the Archbishop of Malta Monsignor Charles J Scicluna, the St John Council (Malta) chaired by Dr Michael Frendo K.O.M, LL.M (Exon.), LL.D. (Melit.) and other distinguished guests. The grades Invested included those of Commanders, Officers and Serving Brothers (Members).
The investiture was followed by a reception at the President’s Palace in Valletta were the attendees were honoured by the presence of Her Excellency Mrs Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca – President of Malta.
The Order of St John evolved from the Order of Malta and has been a Royal Order of Chivalry since a royal charter constituted by Queen Victoria in 1888. It founded the St John Ophthalmic Hospital near the old city of Jerusalem the St John Ambulance Association in 1882, the St John Ambulance Brigade in 1887. The St John Ambulance Association in Malta was the first to open outside the United Kingdom in 1882.
Each year St John volunteers in Malta dedicate more than 10,000 hours for training and assistance during public duties with ambulances and fire trucks. This does not include the time invested in forming and training more than 50 youngsters aged between 6 and 16 to be tomorrow’s volunteers with St John. The Training Branch continuously offers basic first aid courses to the general public as well as specific courses for First Aid at work. More information may be found on www.sjamalta.org and www.sjrcmalta.org.
For more information or clarifications please contact the undersigned on: Mob No: 79 05 06 47